Media Advisory, October 6, 2011
October 6, 2011
What: The Inaugural 4Front Atlantic Conference
When: Friday, October 7, 2011, 7:45am-5:00pm
Where: Pier 21 Canadian Museum of Immigration, Halifax, Nova Scotia
4Front Atlantic Conference is about mobilizing for change and competing differently in order to be at the forefront of success in the new global economy. As the topics being discussed are critical to many people who live, work and are passionate about Atlantic Canada or who do business in the region, we invite you to attend the conference or join the discussion online. Simultaneous French translation is available at the conference.
Media registration begins at 7:00 am (Atlantic)
The conference will be webcast live throughout the day and can be viewed at www.4frontatlantic.com. An archive of the conference will also be made available following the conference and can be found at www.4frontatlantic.com. Or follow the discussion on twitter @4frontatlantic or URL: http://twitter.com/#!/4frontatlantic.
The world economy is at a pivotal point: Globalization, the economic gravity shift to Asia and other emerging markets, and the demographics of aging in advanced economies are both impending realities and serious opportunities. Atlantic Canada has the most challenging demographics of any region of Canada; our trade is most concentrated in countries and regions that are not beneficiaries of the global economic gravity shift, and we lag a Canadian innovation and productivity performance that itself is lagging OECD countries. We need to proactively reshape ourselves to expand our potential, or risk being reactively reshaped by global trends.
The 4Front Atlantic Conference, hosted by BMO Financial Group and McInnes Cooper, will seek to develop strategies to help us seize the best opportunities for Atlantic Canadians in this changing world order.
Among the Speakers
• The Right Honourable David Johnston, C.C., C.M.M., C.O.M., C.D., Governor General of Canada
• The Honourable David Emerson, former Minister of International Trade and thought leader on Asia and globalization
• The Honourable Kevin G. Lynch, P.C., Vice-Chair, BMO Financial Group
• Ed Greenspon, Vice-President, Torstar/Toronto Star
• Stewart Beck, High Commissioner to the Republic of India
• John Sloan, Canadian Ambassador to Russia
• Jamal Khokhar, Canadian Ambassador to Brazil
• Dr. Nancy Mathis, Executive Director, Wallace McCain Institute, UNB
• Guillermo Rishchynski, Canadian Ambassador and Permanent Representative to the United Nations
• Tom Jenkins, Executive Chairman and Chief Strategy Officer, OpenText
• Dr. Tom Traves, President, Dalhousie University
• Dr. Alaa Abd-El-Aziz, President, University of Prince Edward Island
• Yvon Fontaine, President, Université de Moncton
• Nancy Tower, CEO, Emera Newfoundland and Labrador
• Stephen Poloz, President and CEO, Export Development Corporation
• Andrea Feunekes, Co-CEO, Remsoft Inc.
• Yuen Pau Woo, President and CEO, Asia Pacific Foundation of Canada
• Jo Mark Zurel, President, Stonebridge Capital; Chair, St. John’s Board of Trade
• Mike Ashar, CEO, Irving Oil
• Gordon Pitts, Senior Writer, Report on Business, Globe and Mail
• J.P. Deveau, President, Acadian Seaplants
• Sherry Huang, Chief Executive Officer, Study Abroad Canada Inc.
• Ian Smith, CEO, Clearwater Seafoods Ltd.
view more read & share